A locked bootloader means fewer ways to customize your Android device. This was the case of the Motorola Droid RAZR HD XT926 that came with a locked bootloader. Fortunately, a different variant of the Droid RAZR HD, the Droid RAZR HD XT926 Developer Edition, has an unlockable bootloader. With an unlocked bootloader, you can customize your device all you want, such as by flashing custom ROMs, mods, and other hacks. But, before learning how to customize your Droid RAZR HD XT926 Developer Edition, you should first flash a custom recovery.
XDA Developers member GoClifGo05 was kind enough to share a step-by-step guide on how to flash ClockworkMod Recovery for the Droid RAZR HD XT926 Developer Edition. This custom recovery allows you to flash custom ROMs, mods, and hacks to improve your phone’s performance. You can also do a NANDroid backup and wipe data to ensure a safe procedure while customizing your phone.
This guide shows you how to flash ClockworkMod Recovery for the Droid RAZR HD XT926 Developer Edition.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Motorola Droid RAZR HD, model number XT926 Developer Edition. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Motorola Droid RAZR HD XT926 Developer Edition with an unlocked bootloader and root access.
- You can unlock your phone’s bootloader via Motorola’s website.
- A Windows PC
- Enable USB debugging on your handset.
- Disable antivirus, firewall, and other security software. Such software can interfere with the procedure in this guide.
- Install the Android Software Development Kit (SDK) on your PC. This will install the necessary drivers for your phone.
- Install the ES File Explorer app from the Google Play Store on your phone.
- Download the following files to your computer:
- Fastboot package (Fastboot.zip, 404.46 kB).
- ClockworkMod Recovery image (cw-recovery-vanquish.img, md5sum: 7c399fbc53736b550757225649f14cf6).
- Make sure your phone’s battery still has at least 70% power. You don’t want the device to shut down in the middle of the procedure.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Open the ES File Explorer app and set up root-level access. You can do that by doing the following:
- Go to Settings > Root Settings.
- Enable the “Root Explorer” option and tap on Yes when prompted.
- Select Allow/Grant to grant root access to the app.
- Enable the “Up to Root” and “Mount File System” options.
- On your phone, go to /system/etc and rename the RECOVERY.SH to any name you like. This will prevent your stock recovery from restoring after flashing the custom recovery.
- On your computer, extract Fastboot.zip to your computer. You will get a folder named “Fastboot.”
- Copy the custom recovery file to the Fastboot folder.
- Turn off your phone.
- Boot your phone into the Boot Mode Selection Menu. You can do that by pressing the Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power buttons at the same time.
- Using the Volume keys, highlight Fastboot and select it by tapping the Power Button.
- Connect your phone to your PC via a USB cable and wait for Windows to complete driver installation.
- On your computer, open a command prompt and navigate it to the Fastboot folder.
- Enter the command fastboot devices. Your phone’s serial number will appear on the screen. If it doesn’t, make sure the USB drivers were successfully installed.
- Enter this command to flash the ClockworkMod Recovery image to your phone:
- fastboot flash recovery cw-recovery-vanquish.img
- Reboot back to bootloader by entering this command:
- fastboot reboot-bootloader
- On the Boot Mode Selection Menu, select Recovery to boot into ClockworkMod Recovery.
Terrific! You have successfully installed ClockworkMod Recovery to your Motorola Droid RAZR HD XT926 Developer Edition.
SOURCES XDA Developers Forum