Users are still feeling bad about Motorola’s not unlocking the bootloader for the Droid RAZR HD. Though it’s possible to root the phone without unlocking the bootloader, a locked bootloader still limits further development.
On the other hand, some lucky individuals were able to acquire the Motorola Droid RAZR HD XT926 Developer Edition, which has an unlockable bootloader, allowing for customizations to be developed. Though these customizations might smell and look really good right out of the developers’ kitchens, you won’t be able to do anything if you don’t have custom recovery. Thankfully, XDA Developers member GoClifGo05 has given us some helpful tips on flashing TWRP Recovery to the Droid RAZR HD.
TWRP Recovery is a custom recovery that allows you to easily install custom ROMs, kernels, themes, and other modifications. This recovery also allows you to easily create NANDroid backups (which can be really useful in case you run into some problems during flashing), wipe data for a clean slate, and of course, flash modification files.
This guide shows you how to flash TWRP Recovery for the Droid RAZR HD XT926 Developer Edition.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Motorola Droid RAZR HD, model number XT926 Developer Edition. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Motorola Droid RAZR HD XT926 Developer Edition with an unlocked bootloader and root access.
- You can unlock your phone’s bootloader via Motorola’s website.
- A Windows PC.
- Enable USB debugging on your handset.
- Disable antivirus, firewall, and other security software. Such software can interfere with the procedure in this guide.
- Android SDK should be installed on your PC. This will install the necessary drivers for your phone.
- Download the following files:
- ES File Explorer from the Google Play Store
- Fastboot (Fastboot.zip, 404.46 kB)
- TWRP Recovery (twrp-recovery-vanquish.img, md5sum: ad04b8a53cc6391fa90699c2e7978921)
- Make sure your device’s battery still has at least 70% power. You don’t want the device to shut down in the middle of the procedure.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Open ES File Explorer on your phone and do the following to prevent it from restoring stock recovery after flashing TWRP Recovery:
- Go to Settings > Root Settings.
- Enable the “Root Explorer” option and tap on Yes when prompted.
- Select Allow/Grant to grant root access to the app.
- Enable the “Up to Root” and “Mount File System” options.
- Go to the /system/etc folder and rename the RECOVERY.SH file to any name you prefer.
- On your computer, extract Fastboot.zip to your computer. You will get a folder named “Fastboot.”
- Copy the custom recovery image file to the Fastboot folder.
- Turn off your phone.
- Boot into the Boot Mode Selection Menu by pressing the Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power buttons at the same time.
- Highlight Fastboot using the Volume buttons and press the Power Button to select it.
- Connect your phone to your PC via a USB cable and wait for Windows to complete driver installation.
- On your computer, open a command prompt and navigate it to the Fastboot folder.
- Follow the procedure below to flash TWRP Recovery:
- Enter the following to check whether the drivers of your phone are installed. If a device ID is displayed at the command prompt, the drivers were successfully installed.
- fastboot devices
- Enter this command to flash TWRP Recovery to your phone:
- fastboot flash recovery twrp-recovery-vanquish.img
- Reboot your phone back to bootloader by entering this command:
- fastboot reboot-bootloader.
- Your phone will boot back to bootloader. Choose Recovery from the list to boot into the custom recovery that you installed.
Congratulations! Your Motorola Droid RAZR HD XT926 Developer Edition now has TWRP Recovery. Enjoy!
SOURCES XDA Developers Forum