Custom recoveries save us from the hassle of old-fashioned software flashing involving plugging in our phones into our computers and typing complex commands that only expert developers understand thoroughly. Thanks to custom recoveries, you get to flash, backup, and restore custom ROMs on our Motorola Atrix HD instantly with ease, not to mention being able to enjoy some other handy features. ClockworkMod and TWRP Recovery are two of the most popular custom recoveries available, but if your phone has a locked bootloader, there is nothing handier than Safestrap Recovery.
If youíre considering customizing your phone with a locked bootloader, then Safestrap Recovery developed by XDA Developers member Hascode is what you need. Safestrap Recovery works by bypassing the main partition of your phone where the official ROM is installed and only making changes to virtual ROM slots. This makes flashing custom ROMs possible even with a locked bootloader. This handy tool also allows you to access boot options, install or flash a ZIP file, backup and restore a ROM, mount partitions, wipe partitions, and enjoy a number of advanced options.
This guide shows you how to install Safestrap Recovery for the Atrix HD MB886.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Motorola Atrix HD, model number MB886. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- A rooted Motorola Atrix HD MB886
- You must have a file manager installed on your phone, such as ES File Explorer File Manager.
- Download the Safestrap Recovery APK (RAZR-HD-Safestrap-3.12.apk, md5sum: 9b3d75e84c06d1e71af1bf1bad57faf3).
- NOTE: Donít worry if the name of the file is Razr HD, it also works for the Motorola Atrix HD.
- Make sure your deviceís battery still has at least 70% power. You donít want the device to shut down in the middle of the procedure.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Perform the following if you have an earlier version of Safestrap (e.g., version 2.x) installed. Otherwise, skip to the next step.
- Using your file manager app, move the /sdcard/safestrap directory to the external SD card (/sdcard-ext). This directory will serve as backups, just in case something in this process fouls up later on.
- Run the Safestrap app on your phone.
- Select the Remove Recovery option to remove the recovery files from the /system. directory.
- Uninstall Safestrap from your phone.
- Copy the Safestrap Recovery APK file to your Atrix HDís internal SD card.
- Go to Settings > Security and enable the Installation from unknown sources option.
- Launch ES File Explorer and browse for the Safestrap Recovery APK file.Select Install.
- If you are updating from Safestrap version 3, you might be prompted to overwrite an existing installation. Select Yes.
- A SuperSU prompt message may also appear. Select Allow to grant root access to the application.
- Safestrap will now launch. Select Install Recovery to install the recovery files and wait for the installation to finish.
- To boot into Safestrap Recovery, reboot your device. A splash screen will appear for about 8-10 seconds, during which time you must press the Menu button to enter Safestrap Recovery Mode.
Nicely done! You now have Safestrap Recovery v3.12 on your Motorola Atrix HD MB886.
SOURCES XDA Developers Forum Hash-of-Codes